You will need: Studio Cloth (or canvas painted with two coats of gesso)
Acrylic Paint for base, permanent green perfect pigment
Acrylic paint in coordinating color with Glaze mixed in (for stamping)
Soft Gel medium
Art Papers (or left over scrapbook pieces)
Rubber Stamp (quote, flower – whatever you wish)
10″ piece of wireworks, 24 ga wire
10″ of Ribbon
3 pages from a book (tear them out together!)
matte finish , Krylonneedle, thread
1. Draw a bird on paper. Cut around your pattern 1/4″ OR use an image from clip art and print directly on Studio Cloth !
2. Cut two birds from Studio Cloth (or gessoed canvas)
3. Paint with base color.
4. While paint dries, cut your books pages, after aligning them on the straight edge, into strips.
5. Fold wire in a loose spiral.
6. Beginning in the center, fold a strip of the cut book in half around the wire form. Apply gel medium to the inside of the folded strip. Press down. Continue to add strips one by one, until you feel the nest is a good size. Fold the end in a ‘hook’.
7. Sew a tiny piece of ribbon about 1 1/2″ to the inside bottom of one of the bird pieces. This is where you will hook the nest to the bird !
7. Apply art papers, rubber stamping, sketching, loose threads or any other items you desire to the body of both birds. They can match, or not. Finish with a strip of words that reflect your bird’s personality. Allow to dry.
8. Using needle and thread, sew the bird’s body together. Begin with nest ‘in place’ and sew around the birds body until you reach the head. Fold your remaining piece of ribbon in half. Place inbetween the top halves of the bird’s head. Continue to stich closed.
Notes: You can add stuffing if you wish.
Could also skip the ribbon at the top and insert a dowel where the nest hangs, your bird would then be able to fly over your favorite house plant.
Tip: If you love your rubber stamps, and you want to use acrylic paint to stamp, add two drops of glaze to the paint before applying it to your rubber stamp. Stamp as you always do, allowing extra time to dry and wash the stamp immediately. (I use Golden’s Glaze Medium)
You can get the supplies listed in BOLD from USArtquest
Hope you find this little idea fun !